Pallant House Gallery

The Hans Feibusch Collection at Pallant House Gallery, Chichester

Pallant House Gallery has one of the most important collections of Modern British Art in the country. In 1997 the Gallery received the entire contents of Hans Feibusch’s North London studio. The studio, which had formerly been Landseer’s, was used by Feibusch from the 1930s until 1997. The Hans Feibusch collection at Pallant House Gallery includes around 80 paintings, 50 sculptures, several hundred drawings and studies, copies of all Feibusch’s lithographs (around 50 prints including proof stages), as well as the artist’s sketch books, easels, brushes, props, furniture and books – over 1,700 items in total. Pallant House Gallery also houses the Hans Feibusch Archive of photographs and ephemera. Whilst some work by Feibusch is always on show at the Gallery, to view specific items it is advisable to make an appointment. The Gallery is launching a Feibusch Loan Scheme to churches and galleries, to enable the artist’s work to be seen more widely. For more information please contact Simon Martin, ( Head of Curatorial Services.
Pallant House Gallery

The photo is from December 1930 when Hans Feibusch was awarded the German Grand State Prize for Painters by the Prussian Academy of Arts in Berlin for the painting The Fishmonger.

The Hans Feibusch Club at Pallant House Gallery

The Hans Feibusch Club extends Pallant House Gallery’s commitment to helping those with disabilities. It caters for the needs of people with disabilities and those that require additional support who want to take part in creative activities and learn new skills. The Club offers a safe first step for those new to the art world and Pallant House Gallery, by providing an environment where they can work with like-minded people and staff skilled in working with people with a range of needs. The artists who lead the workshops at the Club use the Gallery, its collections and exhibitions as inspiration, exploring a range of approaches and techniques. The Club’s name was chosen by members of the group, who were inspired by the way that Feibusch continued to create art by working as a sculptor despite developing glaucoma late in life. Participants have often used props from the Hans Feibusch Studio as stimulus for their own work. The Hans Feibusch Club takes place on Thursday afternoons throughout the year and is free of charge. For more information contact Marc Steene, Head of Learning and Community at Pallant House Gallery (

Chichester Cathedral and Diocese

Dr George Bell, the Bishop of Chichester, was a staunch supporter of German émigrés during the 1930s and he commissioned Feibusch to paint the first of a series of church murals in the Chichester Diocese in 1939, The Nativity in St Wilfred’s Church, Brighton. Bell subsequently commissioned other murals from Feibusch: in 1950 The Return of the Prodigal Son for All Saints Church in Iden and The Baptism of Christ for the Baptistry of Chichester Cathedral, the Ascension (1953) for the Bishop’s private chapel in Chichester and Christ in Majesty (1954) for Saint Mary’s in Goring-by-Sea. The Treasury of Chichester Cathedral also houses Feibusch’s major oil painting The Resurrection (1969), which is on loan from Pallant House Gallery in Chichester, which owns studies for all Feibusch’s murals in Sussex churches.